30 May 2011

Leaving soon...


Two days from now, an association called Eurocircle will have me sent on a European Voluntary Service (EVS) in Bulgaria. That is to say, I am about to spend one month in a country I don't know at all with a bunch of presumably crazy people coming from all over Europe.

For those of you who might not know what an EVS is, here is a quick explanation: it's something you do when you're either out of work/sick of work/not ready yet to work, but still willing to use your body and mind in a useful manner, in a field you might never ever have a chance to work in anymore. 

In my case, it's not really that I am not ready yet to work, it's more that work is not ready for me. So when I got offered, one month ago, to go on a one-month trip to Bulgaria to be a volunteer on a short-film festival, my answer was a clear yes. YES, I am totally fine with giving my life some perspective and purpose. 

I love travelling because I love to have expectations on unknown situations, find myself in this unknown situation and see how much I was wrong. I have a very positive feeling about this trip, since my last experience with Eurocircle was a great one. I picture myself getting real close to the people over there, having fun, eating well, meeting musicians every night and maybe singing along/learning to play Bulgarian guitar, watching surprising films, travelling around the place... and working, also, of course. The sun will be shining all the time, we will be speaking English all the time, surrounded by open-minded, curious people all the time. I'll probably be completely out of time and space, not sure how I was ever connected with the real world and its real people.

Basically, in my head, this EVS will be like living in a pink bubble with rainbow-coloured people, speaking their own common language and discussing about how well these beautiful flowers would match these nice-smelling butterflies.

What? How is this cheesy?

1 comment: